Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Travis W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Travis---you should read the Stephen King book "Needful Things"
hahaha...what're you tryin to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo_mudhen View Post
Topps did a "reissue" of the missing cards in 2006 for the National Show and per Topps they are as follow:

#175 Stan Musial
#186 Whitey Ford
#203 Bob Feller
#209 Herb Score

Benn working on the 55 Topps Set for about 10 years now (Slabbed NRMT +) and it brings me great joy as I near its completion.

Photobucket
bloody hell...NRMT+ all of em? that's awesome! I'm actually doing this 55 set ungraded just to kind of get myself started and get a feel for how I like set building (lovin it so far). One of these days, money permitting of course, I will probably try to put together a high grade slabbed set like that. Do you have your set scanned in a bucket somewhere? Would LOVE to take a look at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 View Post
As one who has already finished the '55 Topps set in PSA 7 or better I don't have one regret about spending a lot of $$$ on commons to complete the set. Call me crazy but I love to collect complete sets. Although it took me 3 years to complete the set in high grade. With a little patience and a little money control anyone can collect a great vintage set.

Currently I am now working on a 56' Topps set in PSA 7 or better. In fact I just bought my last card of Series 1. I am now working on Series 2. Already got the Mantle out of the way and a couple of the the semi-stars. Mostly I am picking up the commons right now. Hope to pick up some HOF soon.

To me set collecting is the most rewarding thing in our hobby but of course that is just me.

Great set to start on and looking forward to seeing it come together. Goodluck!

Couple of my favorite cards from the set:

wow, awesome stuff! I definitely would like to work on a graded set eventually...I think that'd be really awesome (and fun to show off!) My problem is that the good Lord did not grace me with an abundance of patience...so I guess I'll have to train myself to take it slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangman62 View Post
I also agree its a great looking set, Ive had the complete set many times over the years and ended up trading or selling it for other things.
I currently have loads of extras in 55T avail for trade including -
55T T.Willaims,Aaron,Banks,Spahn,J.Robby,Koufax,Clemen te,Hodges,Mays,Snider, also many Hi#s.
NOTE - most are low grade - G-F-P
I think after finishing this set it'd make me very sad to unload it so hopefully I won't feel compelled to do that! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
It's a great looking set, no doubt. But as other posters alluded to, make sure you really want to use your resources to finish a set, as those commons get really expensive. I built the '56 Topps set but now wish I'd just bought a few key cards from the set and had $2000 left over from what I spent in commons. That would buy me a nice Mantle or Robinson.
yeah I hear ya. I think when I decide to start a graded set, it'll be something where I'll take it real slow (probably over several years) and work on other projects/pick up singles along the way to keep it all balanced and satisfy the various degrees and aspects of my obsession!!

Thanks for all the comments everyone!