View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Default Interesting email from REA

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Not many of my--I think it was 78--lots in the last REA auction contained doctored cards, but I was AMAZED at the ones that were! (any doctored cards that were sold were clearly marked as such). I think they were all sold in groups of doctored cards, not mixed in with un-doctored ones. Two things astonished me:

1) the lack of focus on bigh grade cards among the doctorers. If they think you will want it, they will doctor it!

2) the price that clearly marked doctored cards that were hard to come by (19th century, for instance) brought. Both the ones I knew when I got them were doctored (N300 Ewing), and ones that
floored me (N300 Glasscock--my favorite N300--it was skinned and rebacked). They cheerfully sold, and I cheerfully collecterd money for 19th century cards with the emtire ad panel cut off ther bottom--well, I had wanted them, hadn't I?

REA did NOT sell all of my doctored cards. More modern ones with painted corners, or trimmed (I remember one 1935 Goudy, with HOFers on it) were returned to me.

ALL fake asutographs (they are VERY conservative about this--all THREE of their autograph experts have to agree that the autograph is real, or back it goes) were returned. I was a little surprised at how many were real--just about half.

REA IS SUPER! Now if I only had my cards back...