View Single Post
Old 04-24-2022, 06:58 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I think there are many cards that are altered and are difficult to discern as altered. I think there are basically no outright fakes that are difficult to discern as outright fakes. There's a ton of fakes, but I've yet to find any that are very difficult to tell are not original cards. I would say altered cards are the problem right now, but fakes may well be the bigger problem long term. It seems almost inevitable that there eventually will be fakes we basically can't tell apart. There's simply too much profit for the first person to manufacture a convincing T206 fake for it not to happen eventually. Someone who can figure out how to use c. 1910 equipment with the right ink and the right stock can create instant retirement money off printing a handful of cards. Considering PSA can't even separate Dover reprints from originals, it seems likely something like this will eventually happen, be authenticated, and be a serious problem for the high rollers.
Agreed which is why I was wondering why a reference was being made to a guy who identifies fakes is on a thread having to do with a massive issue of altered graded cards that seems far from resolved.