View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
Scott -- you missed my point about only having nine players in the Hall (or maybe I just didn't make the point well). In no way do I think there should only be nine players (one from each position) in the Hall. I was using that statement to counter what you said to another poster about how we shouldn't put Santo in just because he's a hair below Mike Schmidt (arguably the greatest third baseman). If you follow that logic, only the best player at each position could be in the Hall.

Strongly agree with you Scott on Koufax and the disdain for the longevity factor (athough Sutton was actually a very good pitcher). I love Maris, and he should be considered the true single season HR champ, but he just doesn't rise to Hall of Fame standards.
Agreed that this is probably the most entertaining baseball topic to discuss, especially in the off season.

Greg
Greg, I got your point, but in the first place, I don't even agree that Santo is just a hair below Schmidt. I just don't think measuring new guys against existing members always works - I've stated this as best I can (using the Laboy example). The problem is that as soon as you let one sub-HOF-caliber player in, guys who want their sub-HOF-caliber guy to be added will have an obvious argument, and that's what we see happening consistently. Yes, Santo fielded better than some of the guys who are in there, and yes, he batted better than some of them. Was he great? I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. I won't compare it to that of the baseball writers, as I disagree with them quite often.

Some of you have Santo ranked right in the middle of existing HOF 3rd basemen, and since that's how you feel, I completely understand how you would like him in the hall. Personally, I'd rather take a few out than add more less-than-great players.