View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 01:03 PM
Brian clif.ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerj33 View Post
I would like to chime in here. I lead a software R&D team and we have some of the brightest Machine-vision software engineers around. We solve problems like these every day. We are involved with medical applications, not sportscards, but i can assure everyone here that the technology exists to identify card issue and to identify flaws (or perfections) quite easily. We do things like detect cancerous cells from normal cells via software algorithms. As many have said, the technology to detect or analyze will not be a show-stopper.

Its just a matter of effort and dedication to build the card-specific application of known algorithms. I am developing a user-friendly tool that allows non-machine-vision people to build their own algorithms out of our technology. Its possible this could be used to identify and classify cards by issue, and to also do some analysis of surface, corners, wear, scratches etc. Like someone said, this kind of stuff is done in manufacturing every day. Your iphone screen gets to you without scratches because of these types of systems in manufacturing to weed out the bad units.

I would add that detecting reprints from real could be very tough to do. the feel of card stock might be very difficult to assess. But the software could easily detect the printer "dots" if it came from a laser printer or photocopy and not a real print process.
So if it could be done fast enough, the best way would be to have a live person check the authenticity, and then have the machine double check things like print lines, and grade the card? Seems like that would be great. Saying as how we are in the early days of all this technology and card grading is very small, but baseball, and some other sports are getting bigger, I bet we end up seeing something like this sooner or later. Maybe one of the companies trys to make it a high end product or something. I doubt baseball grading is a huge business but there are three companies with huge followings, so competition must be fairly fierce.