View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 08:37 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
Yeah, you may be right. I just sorted the first two lots down in 100's (the 3rd lot should arrive Friday) and I have more stars than I expected.

It'll be fun to see what's missing, what I have for dups, and which cards will need upgrades (I noticed a bunch of checklists and team cards that have been checked off - I think I'll need to upgrade those).
Building sets is a lot of fun.

It's probably easier now than it used to be.
My 1988 Topps set was built from packs bought new, and big box lots. The last card I needed was Canseco. which had slid to being a 25-50 cent card by that time. Nobody would put one in the display case, and they were never in the commons boxes. Everyone had them, probably lots of them. But they were all buried in a box in the back room somewhere. And understandably, nobody wanted to mine the back room for a monster box of 88 Topps to sell one card that might not even be in there.

Finding one once I realized it was the last card I needed took 2 years... not that I looked really hard, but I did look a lot harder than I usually do.

I sort of work on all sets continually. Some I have finished, most not. I still haven't finished 1973... which I started in 1973...
74 took until maybe the late 90's and I don't have all the variations yet.
75, not yet
76 not yet
77- 83 finished!
All the older stuff I've been "working on" since sometime between late 77 and maybe 1984.

I describe my pace as glacial.