View Single Post
Old 02-14-2023, 02:31 PM
Jim Schneider

I just saw this post, Net54 members should know that I submitted this postcard twice to SCG and once to PSA. PSA commented that they were not familiar with the postcard and therefore could not authenticate.

SCG had previously graded another example this card (different back) but refused to authenticate my example because the stamp box was older than the photo. I called SCG and discussed the card, they asked for more information. I sent a copy of the card they had already authenticated along with a written opinion from Don Preziosi. Don is long time postcard collector/dealer who goes by the ebay nickname of Dinerdon. He has written many articles about postcards including one on the Societe Anonyme postcards. (If interested, https://postcardhistory.net/2022/08/...ciete-anonyme/)

Even with this additional information SCG refused to authenticate, again citing the "date" difference. Here's Don's note to me, I had asked his opinion as to authenticity and the likelihood that it was produced by photographer Man Ray:

To: jsrna
Sent: Tue, Feb 17, 2015 5:11 am
Subject: Re: Societe Anonyme Postcard Question

Hi Jim,
This is a real curiosity! It is definitely an original 1920's postcard (assuming the front hasn't been glued to the back, which I assume you can ascertain by the weight/thickness of the card). The Societe Anonyme postcards were all done in 1920. I have never seen nor heard of a PRC with the SA imprint on the back that didn't relate to the art show. All of these were done by the famous artist Man Ray. He also did fashion and portrait photography, but this does not in any way resemble any photos of his that I know about, and although he photographed celebrities, he didn't do athletes and Ruth was not quite a celebrity in 1920. Have you seen this exact photo anywhere else and is it attributed to any particular photographer? If for some strange reason it was made by Man Ray it would be worth a tidy sum, but I don't know how you could prove that unless you can find a reference. The card does not look like a photo of a photo, but that would be more in line with what Man Ray didn't with the paintings. A line art version of that exact Ruth pose was used in a 1920 Lifebuoy soap newspaper ad.

If you are relying on the info on Playle about the 1917 production dates it is somewhat irrelevant and based on very small sampling because PRC postcards are not common.

Let me know what you think.

Best,
Don

Last edited by Greenmonster; 02-14-2023 at 02:49 PM.