View Single Post
Old 09-23-2001, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Default How Did Everyone Get Started Collecting Vintage Cards

Posted By: Vognar Julie

In 1979, when my son was 9, he got $5 a week allowance.
Every week, I'd have to accompany him to King's Baseball Cards, because he wasn't supposed to carry that much money all at once. I'd stand on first one foot, then the other, as he slowly spent his money. Eventually, I started looking over his shoulder. Once there was a '75 mini Brock which caught my eye: "Chris, why don't you buy that one?" "Mom, it cost a whole DOLLAR." "Oh, I'll pay for it, Chris." A couple of weeks later, Dennis King was putting a beautiful mint '55 Robinson away. I wrote him a note, "I'll give you $20 for the Robinson." (I had no idea what it was worth, or what year it was from, but I did recognize Jackie Robinson). He gave me the note as well as the card, and I still have it.

When Chris lost interest in Baseball cards, three years later, he was afraid to tell me. He told his father and had him tell me.

Why my interest in cards developed, or why it went further and further back, I cannot tell you. "Back" just seemed to be the natural way to go. Being poor, I don't buy much besides baseball cards, especially if the card I want is a 19th century one.

Men are often amused to lerarn that I do all the tricks on my husband they do on their wives to keep them from finding out how much it all costs!

Julie