View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default The Card Collectors Bulletin- Aug. 1, 1944, Whole No. 31

It seems many of our members enjoy the history of the hobby. I for one greatly enjoy it and enjoy studying it, as evidenced by the few recent threads on the old Card Collectors Bulletins. I have around 20 of them to share with our community. Instead of picking and choosing how to share them I feel the best way is to just go down the chronological order of them and post them as such. For a very brief history, the Card Collectors Bulletins (CCB) were started by Jefferson Burdick in order to communicate with fellow collectors and catalog insert cards and other trading cards he collected and so loved. The CCB was the predecessor to The US Card Collectors Catalog (June 1939), which itself was the predecessor to the American Card Catalog. The CCB started in 1937 and continued until the very early 1980's (I believe). The ones which will be shared are from 1944 through 1949 but there are many I am missing as they were put out at approximately 6 per yr. Regardless of that it is very seldom that we are able to find hobby related writings pre-1950. The CCB seems to be the gold standard for early hobby publications. We will get to see what Jefferson Burdick thought and felt about collecting, the breadth of his collecting, and his ideas on the cataloging of the cards we love. I have to admit I have changed my view (somewhat) on the updating of the American Card Catalog. Some of the articles posted will be pertaining to sports, and some won't be, but they will all have to do with what we enjoy. I am hosting the articles on my personal site so they can be made larger for all of us older collectors to be able to easier enjoy the reading . regards

Last edited by Leon; 05-17-2011 at 08:28 PM.