View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Default The Death of Direct Sales

Posted By: Joann

Jeff,

My issue isn't that Palin is or isn't smart or whether the media is portraying one or the other. I'm not really sure how smart she is. (And I will admit with considerable embarassment that I couldn't come up with a 2-second answer on the Supreme Court question either. I did come up with an answer, but if there had been a camera and mike on me I absolutely would have verbally stumbled through the question.)

My gripe isn't about the media portrayal. It's that the Republicans - the party that nominated her - are the ones that are so invested in presenting her as your average neighborhood American woman. They are the ones that should be playing up intellect and pointing out skills and qualifications, but they are not. They are focusing on her domestic roles and largely downplaying the professional part. This is a disservice to her and offensive to women in general.

It's unfortunate, because regardless of what anyone may think of her competence or intelligence, surely she deserved better than to be put out there as some cynical display of averageness.

Joann