View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 10:34 AM

Default Ty and Cy

Image 1: Game action real photo postcards of Ty Cobb taken by spectators are exceedingly scarce (I know of just one other). Image 2: I don't recall ever seeing a real photo postcard of Cy Young from during his playing days, and this one is noteworthy as it is among his last photos as a major leaguer.

In the first image, Ty Cobb is shown at bat in an outstanding photo snapped by a spectator who wrote on the back of the postcard, "I may not be able to Ty Cobb but I can snap him. Taken at the Wilkes Barre and Detroit game Sunday, Sept. 24-11." Just before the end of the 1911 season, at about the time the Detroit Tigers were eliminated from the pennant race, the Tigers visited Boulevard Park for a game with the home town Wilkes Barre Barons, champions of the New York State League. The Tigers prevailed 3-2, according to a box score of the game. Cobb went 0-3, so this image probably shows him recording an out. His teammate Sam Crawford was 4-4. Behind the plate that day for the Barons (and behind Cobb in this image) was Joe Briger, whose minor league career spanned 1907-1925.

In the second image, Cy Young stands wearing a Boston Braves uniform in 1912. His statistics show his last year as 1911, but he was a member of the 1912 team until he effectively retired after arm trouble prevented him from making his first appearance on May 23 at Pittsburgh. That makes this image among the last taken of him as a major leaguer. The year 1912 can be isolated by the word Boston appearing across the uniform front and an Indian head logo on the left shoulder. The team surrounding him is unidentified. If you have any information on their identity please let me know.

For more rare postcards and other early baseball items visit http://www.sportingoregon.com . Always buying!

Last edited by bbpostcards; 06-28-2014 at 05:41 PM.