View Single Post
Old 07-16-2019, 12:55 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There is one example of this card in PSA's registry.

One. That's it.

And PSA has graded a total of 121 Mickey Mantle New York Journal Americans since opening their doors in 1991. 121 examples in about 28 years. That's a little over 4 examples, on average, they grade per year.

Not one that comes across their desk(s) all that often, agreed?

They keep population data, which is made public. Surely, they must keep more information in house to help guard against fraud, right? These cards have a unique, factory printed numerical identifier at the bottom. If I'm a grader for PSA, and this card comes to me for grading, this card that PSA gets every three months, on average, I'm documenting that factory printed numerical identifier in our database, so the next time that another example of the card comes in, that database can quickly be referenced.

"This Mantle with serial number 290586 came through two years ago and was graded a 6. I'm about to give it a 9. Maybe I need to take another look, because either Stevie Wonder graded it the first time, or some card doctor has altered this card to receive a higher grade."

Isn't that how it's supposed to work? Or, am I crazy?

If they're keeping any kind of data on the cards they grade beyond the final 1-10 designation, how does this happen?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.