Thread: Vintage Racing?
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2020, 11:47 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I won an auction on Sunday for a set of 31 cards very similar to Justus' "Allentown Week of Wheels" cards pictured a few days ago in this thread. The weird thing about the set I won is that the cards are labeled as being from 1975 and labeled as being a "Wilkes Barre Schaefer 500 salute."

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1975-P...AAAOSw86dexBiq

The images look to be the same as the Allentown cards. From what i could see, new cards not previously known are Sammy Sessions, Mike Hiss, Bentley Warren, Jimmy Carruthers and Mel Kenyon.

The closing auction price really shocked me: $39.43 with just one other bidder besides myself above $13. I thought the cards may close at least somewhere in the neighborhood of the Marhoefer cards when those come up for auction. I wasn't expecting the price to be just over $1 a card.

The appearance of a different set of cards carrying advertising for Wilkes Barre, Pa., makes me wonder if the cards were exclusive to Woolworth's. That chain was huge in the 1970s, and Wikipedia says they did have a store in Wilkes Barre in addition to Allentown, Pa.

Last edited by Bored5000; 05-25-2020 at 12:08 AM.