View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Default Safety Deposit Box Plunge

Posted By: Joann

OK - I took the plunge too. I'm a bit of a control freak, so having them locked away 24/7 and unaccessible for periods of time is not sitting too well. Although I definitely feel better. Mine aren't worth a whole lot compared to other collections - I only put maybe $7K in there. But I was getting increasingly unnerved by having them around the house. I often leave my house unlocked, routinely carried my cards around in a plastic grocery store bag, etc. It just got uncomfortable, and so far it's been more of a relief than an inconvenience.

But I really don't like not having them here. It makes me wonder if I have gone to a place in collecting I don't want to go - I can't have them around and have to lock them away.

I definitely did look at them fairly often. I only have 75 cards or so - so they still all fit on the kitchen counter. I could put all of them out at once and see the whole thing. Arrange them by sets, or like colors, or chronologically, etc. lol. So I really don't like having lost that ability.

But I only put about half my cards in the sd box (representing 90% of the value).

And Paul - wow - expensive in your area. I got a 3x10x24 or so for $49 a year. But no cool little private room. It was more like stand aside one way to open the door, move next to the xerox machine so they could get the box out, maneuver back around the door to get it closed - hell I thought I was literally going to use their employee break room to put my cards into it!

Dessicant next. But the peace of mind is well worth $49 a year, and I didn't even fractionally fill it.

Joann