Thread: The Watchdogs
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Default The Watchdogs

Posted By: Eric Eichelkraut (goudeyhunter)

I don't usually go against the grain with Ebay's rules, but I do fully support enlightening a naive bidder about a reprinted or fake vintage card being tauted as authentic. My stance is that I will only interfere with auctions which offer cards that I believe I am at an expert level working with, and am certain that I can give thorough reasoning why the card is not authentic. At this point I email the
bidder(s) with my thoughts, as well as the seller, to try and reason them into ending the misleading auction. After that, most of the time I will also send a short complaint to Ebay, making them aware of the situation.
The aftermath of my warning emails has garnered me alot of appreciation from bidders obviously, but at times, the sellers as well. I have found that some sellers are just as naive about reprints or fakes as bidders, and many are appreciative about my help, and do end their misrepresented auctions upon the information I give them. Ebay has also never responded to my reports in a negative way either.

Alike many others on this board, I think that sending warnings out is a right that we "vintage card experts" should have on Ebay, and believe that many of us add a great level of authentication to the hobby by doing so. Although Ebay has its problematic areas, as any large corporation does, they do allow opinions most of the time, when opinions are due.