View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 03:47 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

I am a huge baseball fan, and my purchase history and collection shows how much I want “the card” and not “ the future value”. I have a lot of cards that I paid good money for that would be snubbed by the investor types for not being nice enough. My fandom isn’t hard to see.

My point in my response is directly to the 33G Ruth. If it wasn’t worth anything, I wouldn’t pay anything for it. That’s a circular argument indeed.

But if I wanted to enjoy pictures of Babe Ruth, I have other opportunities to print off the Internet, and better pictures/ poses etc.

I want a 33 G Ruth someday, but I want all HOF baseball cards. I cannot think of why someone could sell me one for multiple thousands, but I , in turn couldn’t do the same thing to another collector...even if it was less than what I paid for it.
I know I have bad luck, but I would hope the market didn’t dry up on me quite that fast!

Of course, I know your question is mostly hypothetical. Your point is probably more about “ Is money driving your collection habits , knowing that what you buy today may have some value later...or do you not care at all ? “

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I'm pretty surprised that 1 in 5 would pay absolutely nothing for a nice, career issued card of the biggest icon the game has ever known. IMO that doesn't bode well for fandom of the hobby for pure enjoyment's sake.

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.