View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Default Rick, is this a "Woodcut"?

Posted By: mr. moses

way more knowledgeable than I however I would expect that your answer is partially right anyway. Engraving was a more labor intensive process both in creation and subsequent production and required more steps and different tools hence greater costs. The resultant image however looks better in utilizing the more sophisticated engraving techniques (even more intensive AND expensive were copper and later steel engravings). The problem is that the longevity of the above copper and steel plates declines with each pass or printing of the image..... The wood cut and wood engraving surfaces last much longer as the surface area remains flat. The more the image surface to be transferred is preserved; the more complete prints it can produce; therefore production would be best served aesthetically by any engraving but in terms of the number of images either wood cuts or wood engraving could make many more un-degraded images.... I almost deleted this. Probably should have. Why post when there's someone out there with more knowledge? Lots of psychoanalysts in Barry's neighborhood. If I ever get back to NY perhaps he will make me an appointment......