View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Sam Lemoine

Default Has anyone ever given up on set collecting?

I've been a set collector since the 1970's. I've got complete set runs back into the 1960's, and I've got a good run on a lot of sets in the 1950's and 1960's. But, increasingly I am finding the majority of the fun that I have collecting is on star cards (and sometimes minor star cards) of the 1910's through the 1960's. I've never thought about NOT collecting complete sets until the last few months. I spent several hundred dollars this Summer on commons from the 1950's and 1960's for various baseball and football sets. When I opened the packages and put the cards away, I found myself literally looking at the cards long enough to stick them in a plastic sheet and then.. goodbye.

I have had an internal debate for several years, and it has gotten bad the last six months or so. If I gave up set collecting and just went to getting the cards that I like, it would make a lot of space in my house and I would only be looking at cards that I truly like. I'm not saying strictly HOFers, because I like a lot of players that aren't superstars (i.e. Willie Kamm, Bob Johnson, Vic Power, etc.). I also wouldn't be spending big money on cards that are just hard to get, but not particularly appealing. My 1966 Topps set is complete, but honestly, who the heck is happy about spending more money on a Grant Jackson rookie card than a Goose Goslin rookie card? By not set collecting, I can avoid these situations.

It all sounds very logical. Except, my instincts are to try to complete sets. My collecting has been organized for a long time. I'm not sure I can do it. Has anyone else had these kind of internal debates? Did anyone ever abandon set collecting? If so, did you have any regrets? Just looking for other people's thoughts.