View Single Post
Old 10-21-2022, 03:23 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Great teams don’t necessarily have a boatload of HOFers. More likely than not they have a bunch of really good players who just fall short of HOF caliber. The great Yankee teams of the late 1990s were great because of guys like Paul O’Neill, Tina Martinez, David Cone, Scott Brosius, David Wells, Jorge Posada, Andy Pettitte, etc. Same with the Yankee teams of the fifties and early sixties.
As for Stengel, I think he was a horrible manager. He cost the Yankees the 1960 series by not starting Ford, after he requested to be started on short rest, in game 7. I don’t think Robert’s is particularly bad or particularly good, just an average stat executor.
I dunno Jay. It wasn't short rest-- it was NO rest. Whitey had just pitched a complete game the day before. Hardly seems reckless for the manager to go to someone else, regardless of what his Ace says. Besides, they had a three-run lead with 6 outs to go when the bullpen blew it. So unless you think Whitey Ford would have been pitching, and effectively, for his 17th inning in around 24 hours, I don't see how Casey's decision cost the team the series.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.