View Single Post
Old 04-22-2015, 02:35 PM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Karl, I didn't see a 1973 Topps Pin-Up in your fabulous Killebrew collection, but my eyes may have missed it.
Val
Love the Pin-Up! I actually had one, but sold it a few years back. I started out collecting absolutely everything Killebrew, but the collection got too big. I couldn't display half of it, and anything I couldn't display I didn't enjoy.

Over the last few years I've narrowed my focus to 1961-1972, and with a few exceptions I've also stopped collecting publications, proofs, non-U.S. issues and card variations (however dwr11 has a few magazines I'd still love to have and have never seen elsewhere).

If the abundance of vintage Killebrew memorabilia is any indication, Harmon was a very popular and respected player during his career, especially considering he played in "flyover country". As late as 1970, I was convinced he, and not Aaron, would break Ruth's career home run record, but it was not to be. I recall keeping a scrapbook on him that year, rooting him on to what would have been his 7th HR title - but then he unbelievably hit only 1 homer in the Twins' last 30 games and lost to Howard. Broke my young heart!

Harmon then started 1971 with only 4 homers in 42 games. Despite leading the AL in RBI that year, his knees were fast becoming a serious problem, and the last few years of his career were difficult for me to watch.

From 1959-1970, however, he was flat-out amazing, averaging 45 home runs per 162 games while out-homering and out-walking everyone in the majors. For that 12-year stretch he also had nearly 300 more RBI than anyone else in the AL. And despite those numbers, he's probably more famous today for being one of the nicest and kindest athletes ever.