View Single Post
Old 01-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Todd Schultz

Dan nailed it-- Gimme Shelter is my favorite Stones song and is my cell phone ringtone. I also concur with For What It's Worth by Buffalo Springfield.

Others on my top ten are probably no surprise.

Born to be Wild--Steppenwolf
House of the Rising Sun-- the Animals (also done well by Frijid Pink)
Dear Mr. Fantasy--Traffic
Summer in the City-- Lovin' Spoonful
Positively 4th Street-- coldest line ever-- "Yeah I wish that for just one time, you could stand inside my shoes--you'd know what a drag it is to see you"
Cross-town Traffic--Jimi
The Weight-- The Band
Whipping Post--Allman Bros. Band

I also think nearly anything Beatles qualifies-- I personally think Beatles for Hire (Beatles '65) doesn't get enough love, with I'll Follow the Sun and No Reply.

I also like virtually all types of music from that era, even Wichita Lineman and Desmond Dekker's Isrealites. I liked Ma Belle Amie by the Tee Set, Hurdy Gurdy Man, Monday. Monday and You Keep Me Hangin On by Vanilla Fudge.

I was lucky enough to be growing up in the five-year period 1969-1973, when some of the best albums were released: Pink Floyd-Dark Side, Traffic-Low Spark, Santana-Abraxas, Allman Bros.-Fillmore East, Jethro Tull-Aqualung, ELP-Brain Salad Surgery. Yes--Fragile, Guess Who-American Woman, The Who--Who's Next, CSNY-Deja Vu, CCR-Willy and the Poor Boys, and Grateful Dead--Workingman's Dead. I'm sure I'm leaving out others, like Moody Blues Seventh Sojourn, Eagles-Eagles, Little Feat and Poco, for example. Man those were good times.