View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-guy View Post
How do you guys buy your raw cards? I've always wanted to do this set in a raw form but I'm afraid of buying raw cards? what if there trimmed a little or altered in some way? Especially the high end cards? do you guys buy them graded and break them out?
In the grade I am working it, it is less of a concern, however, it really is a case of the card speaking to you. Admittedly I think before I popped down the money on a Cobb, I'd have to be buying from a dealer I know...

Honestly I often buy slabbed and crack them.

Our of my 400 + cards, I probably obtained 300 raw. Of the 300, I have a couple of doubts about 2. One is a Cobb Greenback I suspect was a skin and was rebacked...but I paid a very low price comparatively. The other is a scarce variation which is obviously trimmed but I also have some reservations about the color and texture...it had apparently been immersed in some liquid sometime which made it feel oily...I bought it from a dealer who has a reasonably good reputation and was comfortable with the backstory, the lot it was part of and the purchase price, which was about the cost of a common in f-g condition. I intend to upgrade it anyway, it's just a filler.