View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 07:13 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
I would suggest you get all your ducks in a row with whatever museum(s) you are considering loaning your items and make sure to read through the loan contract to your satisfaction.
^^If donating or loaning this is great advice.^^ This was my biggest problem. The person who runs the museum also runs all the historic places in town. I owned a construction company for 20+ years and had easily done over 6 figures of work for them over the years with 0 problems. I was too trusting and believed everything she said and got nothing in writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post

1) All items be insured against damage or loss as another poster previously mentioned. When I did this I submitted replacement value for each item, and admittedly I hedged on the high side.
It's understood that many scarce items may not easily be replaced.
2) That the museum is absolutely solvent. Museum's do sometimes become insolvent for a number of reasons, including lack of traffic, etc. This happened recently with the Bob Feller Museum in Van Meter, IA.
3) They guarantee that the items will be displayed, the proper use of non-UV lights, etc.
4) Return of items at the end of the term will be via FEDEX Next Day and insured at the expense of the museum.
^^More great advice.^^ I had a great talk with the lady behind the counter at the Bob Feller Museum not long before it closed. Actually it is MLB that screws these great little places over causing them to close. I don't get how this works or why it is done but this is how it was explained to me. I will use the Feller museum as an example. As long as Mr Feller was alive they are allowed to have former players come and do autograph sessions and other events. These events are their main income. As soon as Mr Feller passed they are no longer allowed to bring in any former players to do these events. Without Mr Feller or any former players doing events they quickly run out of $ and have to close.

I would highly recommend donating/loaning items to museums even with my horrible experience. Just don't do it as stupidly as I done, get every aspect of the transaction in writing.