View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 PM
Dan Marke1

Default Exhibit “D”: 1961 Topps Tom Cheney

Still not convinced? Compare these two 1961 Topps Tom Cheney cards below. Notice the "snow"
and the streaks on the front. There clearly many unique features to this card:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On these front blow-ups, look at the two tiny dots on the top border above the "P" on his cap.
Those same two dots are clearly positioned much closer to the top edge of the graded card.
In addition the corner on the graded card is sharper and squarer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notice the roughness of the top edge of the ungraded card and the smoothness of the graded card.
Also notice the tiny dot above and slightly to the left of the vertical line between the word "ERA"
and the number "27.00" on both cards. The same dot is clearly positioned much closer to the top
edge of the graded card.

SUMMARY

These are some of the better examples of card altering work sold on eBay, however I have roughly
60 more pairs of before and after scans taken from eBay auctions which show evidence of improved
ascetics of the graded card compared to the same ungraded card. I am also convinced that this is
a majority report of what these dealers sell. I have a lot of anecdotal evidence to support this claim
as well. There are hundreds of instances where raw cards were purchased but the scans were
marginal to tell if the card was trimmed but the perp managed to get a 1 to 2 bump on the graded
card. In my vast experience, most eBay sellers of raw cards overgrade the cards they sell - not
undergrade.

Last edited by WhenItWasAHobby; 08-20-2009 at 08:45 PM.