View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
As a very long time generalist collector It's so wonderful to see another collector who really "gets it"

I used to track pricing somewhat, but yes, it was really pointless unless I wanted to sell something. I explained to a friend that the hunting stuff was the game, and the "value" was just a way of keeping score.
Then I was away from mainstream hobbies for a few years, and into a niche of a niche hobby. No price guides, no solid idea of what was out there to be found, so not even a "set" to complete. And very little information to be found anywhere.
And I pretty much loved it! It was sort of pioneering, and required that I give up a few things - I no longer believe in "completeness" a fable my friends foisted on me when they asked if I'd completed any sets then said I must not be much of a collector if I hadn't. I also had to give up on using money as a way to keep score. Everything I found was either way out of my league pricewise, or so cheap I almost felt bad about it. Almost, usually I was the only bidder or the high bidder when my max was way over the final price. I eventually came to realize that being nearly the only person that appreciated something wasn't bad at all.

Now I've changed to coolness to keep score - much simpler, as I got to define that! So a flea market find isn't "look at the deal I got!" but "look at the really cool thing I found" It helps that there's loads of things that are both really cool, and not expensive.

And for others - if you really want to know about the money, lest just say of you've got mainstream tastes, buy nice stuff you really like and have it for long enough the money takes care of itself. Plus you've had all that enjoyment.
Steve, a very interesting well-expressed read. I can really relate to what you said. I grew up getting a kazillion mainstream bubblegum cards. I enjoyed them, but what really captured my fancy in my sports collecting hobby were the immediate post-war regional / food cards, coins, and premiums---IF the design really attracted me, IF the items were particularly appealing to my aesthetic tastes, and eventually, IF the promotion really made getting the items challenging to kids or adults back in the day. Once in awhile, I tried to collect a given set, but I was usually quite content just getting players I really liked, again if their pose looked really good. I was rarely a set guy, but I came by that honestly, being a widow's son from the age of 13.

Kind regards, bro. --- Brian Powell