View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Default Type 1 Jacobellis Contact Proof Photos

I have a set of 2 Yogi Berra's.

I am testing the market on these. Am I too high? Too Low? I guess I will find out.

From a Type 1 William Jacobellis Contact sheet that was cut up into individual photos.

These are still together, and I will sell as a pair for $100 or individually for $65 each.

Here is a little background on the item.....

The William Jacobellis Photo Collection burst on the hobby scene back in 2014, when the esteemed photographer's contact-proof original photos made a big splash at auction—most notably those of his images used for iconic 1950s Topps and Bowman baseball cards.

Examples included '54 Bowman Mays ($5,000), '54 Bowman Mantle ($4,500), '55/'56 Topps Banks ($4,500) and 1952 Bowman Musial ($4,000). The upward trajectory followed a recent trend for ALL Type I original photos used in card production, epitomized by the $60,000 paid in 2012 for Mantle's 1952 Topps photo.

Now we're pleased to offer a nice selection from the Jacobellis Collection. It is important to note that Type I "contact proofs" represent the ultimate in crystal-clear image quality and are essentially the closest thing to the negative itself.

Simply put, the contact-proof development process was not employed for everyday news-service photos printed on a tight publication deadline, but rather was reserved for specialized, studio-caliber purposes such as card production by Topps, Bowman and other leading companies. It has been said that many of the Jacobellis Collection photos are unique, one-of-a-kind survivors.

Each square measures 2.5 x 2.5 (with a distinctive black border) and average EX-MT condition.