View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default Ball Players who have committed suicide w/Photo challenge!

Posted By: Todd Schultz

I don't think it's a dumb thread. Poor taste and tacky, probably; disrespectful, possibly, but not dumb.

When I contributed my Pulliam card, I figured it highly unlikely that any relative of his would read the thread and take offense. It occurs to me, however, that it's quite possible some of our forum members or readers may have suffered personal loss through suicide, or may have attempted it themselves, and that this topic could cause them pain. For that I am sorry, and I by no means intended to minimize the problems that others have faced.

I do believe these men deserve to be remembered, and not ignored simply because of the way they met their Maker. I would hope that posters could include a link, antecdote or statistical blurb to go with any images. For my part, I always found Pulliam to be an interesting man who helped keep MLB together in the early volatile years when the AL and NL were being asked to coexist. I'm sure many of you know about him, but here's a link with a brief profile:

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/ballplayers/player.php?name=Harry_Pulliam

If the whole concept of lumping these men together because of their tragic demises is too offensive, I understand and again, apologize.