View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default T206 Wagner-Theory

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

RE:.....your post 3/17 7:28 AM.....

Since, I am the originator of the "Piedmont Primacy" theory (as Barry Arnold coined it).....I find it to be quite
paradoxical that the majority of the Wagner's found are with Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 25 backs, rather
than with Piedmont 150. And, 98% of the Plank's found from the 1st Series are also Sweet Cap. Fac. 25.

The actual printing of the T206 cards was done by American Lithograph in New York and the Piedmont brand
(in every Series) appears to be the first out in the market; and, more available than the other brands.

The key here, though, is to focus on Factory 25, 2nd District (Virginia)......where Piedmont 150, followed by
Sweet Cap 150/25, and then some time later, Sovereign 150 cards were included in cigarette packs. Most of
the 156 cards in the 1st Series are available with all these backs. Followed by the Sweet Caporal 150/30 and
Hindu....both from NY Factories. And, of course Wagner and Plank.
The exceptions are Jennings (portrait), Lundgren (Cubs), and Magie....that are found as 1st series cards only
with Piedmont 150 backs. And, obviously, Wagner and Plank.

So, the Wagner and the Plank cards having primarily Sweet Cap backs are a mystery to me. Perhaps, it can be
explained that the Piedmont factory employees were slow to insert Honus Wagner cards in their packs; while,
the Sweet Cap employees were faster in doing so....until the "Wagner edict" forced them to stop.

TED Z