View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Default Question about autograph collecting?

Posted By: Joe Drouillard

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I received this lot of autographed 1969 Topps. Seven of the cards are signed on the front, and ten, including the Gaylord Perry, are signed on the back. It was an impulse by that I paid less than .50 cents per card for, on a poorly advertised auction on eBay. My intention was to flip them. However, after receiving the cards I thought they looked pretty neat, and I was wondering if it might be a cool diversion to start collecting autographed cards from the sixties, just for fun. My main collecting interest is T206s, I thought it might be cool to have a cheaper hobby for the times when I cannot afford pricier stuff.

I already have a large collection of HOF signed baseballs that I add to each year when I go to the Induction ceremony at Cooperstown. But I don't know anything about collecting autographs on signed baseball cards. Does anyone else collect this kind of stuff who would be willing to share some of their experience. I have lots of questions: Are most of the signed cards sold on eBay forgeries? How much should I expect to pay for common players? stars? Are autographs on the back of cards worth the same as those signed on front?Is there a better way to collect them?

Thanks for any help or advice,

Joe