View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 07:09 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 REFERENCE......Possible sources of the T206 Wagner cards (Re-visited)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * T206 REFERENCE.......Reflections, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

OK getting back to the subject matter here, the most significant original sheet which has surfaced these past 35 years is the one that the Gretzky T206 Honus Wagner card
was hand-cut from. It's a shame that this sheet was not left un-cut for at least a picture of it.
The closest I ever got to a Wagner card was in 1985 at the Willow Grove Show in Pennsylvania. Friday afternoon, before the Show opened, Bill Mastro was shopping around
this famous Wagner card (before it was famous). He was going from room to room at the Lodge, and he came to our room where 4 of us dealers were trading cards. We all
examined this card very closely and were very impressed with it. Bill was asking $30K for it (an unprecedented amount at that time for a BB card).
Besides, after Bill left the room the consensus of our opinions were that it had been hand-cut. The PIEDMONT 150 back intrigued me since 95% of the Wagner cards known
back then had SWEET CAPORAL backs.

Needless to say, this card was the "talk of the Show" all weekend in Willow Grove. Furthermore it was rumored that an Eddie Plank card was Wagner's "sheet-mate". Mastro
did not show it, though (at least not to us guys). Many years later we did get to see this Plank card. It was in Charlie Conlon's collection. And, here it is.......

Hey guys, I would appreciate some responses to what I have presented here. If you think my theory regarding the possibility of Mr. Knapp taking home some Wagner cards
hot off the presses at American Lithographic is sort of "kooky", then I will listen to your story why a fair number of Wagner cards have originated from the NYC area.

TED Z