View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 11:23 PM
David Kathman

Default Hobby history: The making of the 1960 American Card Catalog

I usually don't do two of these hobby history posts in one day, but I've got the materials for this one in front of me, so I'm going to bang out a followup post to the one I just wrote about the 1946 American Card Catalog. This one is about the making of the 1960 American Card Catalog, the last new edition and the one most people are familiar with.

Scanned below are front-page articles from seven consecutive issues of Card Collector's Bulletin, from June 1, 1959 to June 1, 1960, encompassing the writing and publication of the 1960 catalog. In the June 1, 1959 issue, Jefferson Burdick announced that it was "catalog time", and that he would have four co-authors on the new catalog: Charles Bray, Woody Gelman, Buck Barker, and Preston Orem. Over the next four issues of CCB, each of these four co-authors wrote a front-page article about the catalog: Gelman, then Barker, then Orem, and finally Bray. In the April 1, 1960 issue, Burdick wrote up some "Catalog Reflections", and in the June 1, 1960 issue, after the catalog had been published, he wrote a short article, "We Thank You All", about the reception of the catalog and some errors that had already been discovered, which Burdick looked at philosophically.