View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

All light regardless of source damages art and antiques. The question is how to mitigate if you want to display items. Standard practice in museums is to avoid direct light of any kind and to put items on display for short periods. Paper is especially vulnerable to light damage.

As for fluorescents, museums don't use them because they throw off comparatively high levels of UV rays that can damage artwork. If you have SGC slabs in exposure to fluorescents on an ongoing basis, check the flips on cards that are in fluorescent lighting--the flips will turn brown from exposure to fluorescents. Even if the cards still look good, the flips will be the canaries in the coal mine.

As for damage, a day in direct sun can brown paper and fade colors. I have seen cards displayed in collections using direct fluorescent lighting systems where the card colors are significantly degraded. Cards that I've noticed taking an especially bad hammering relatively quickly are 1930s Goudey and 1950s Topps issues.

Assuming you aren't hanging your items in direct sunlight, the easiest way to mitigate light damage is to frame your stuff behind UV-resistant glass or plexiglass and to never shine a fluorescent or other direct spotlight on your items.

I run color copies of my items for displays and put the originals away. Total peace of mind...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-07-2012 at 12:28 PM.