View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Default Colgan Chips: Tin Tops (E270-2) -- proper dating

Posted By: Todd Schultz

you saw that too. I can't say the mistake was sloppy, as apparently others continue under the misapprehension that the set came out in 1912, but I was still disappointed that SGC missed it on such an important card.

When in doubt, look to Lipset. His encyclopedia tabbed this as a 1913 issue what, 20 some years ago? He gave some player examples then, including Roger Bresnahan and Rube Foster as depicted on teams that they did not join until 1913.

I'd like to hear from the set collectors about the tin tops as well, as I do not chase it--although I dabble in the more pedestrian e254 Colgans. What struck me was that Thorpe was working his Olympic magic in 1912, and it seemed unlikely that he would have returned home, signed a pro contract and played the last wee portion of the 1912 season so as to justify a card. More likely was a scenario where Colgan's jumped on his Olympic fame to include him in either a 1913 update of the e270-2s, or that the entire set was issued that year. When I looked it up and saw that Thorpe didn't start playing MLB until 1913, that sealed the deal. Of course, had I just re-examined Lew's work, it would have saved me time.

So Tin Tops guys and gals, spill what you know about this set for us, would ya?