View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 04:59 AM

Default Ollie Vanek/Stan Musial memorabilia

Hi. I am new to the forum and not really knowledgeable about the history of baseball. I was born in the UK but have lived in the US most of my life. While sorting through some old photos, I found a picture of my dad in his British Royal Navy uniform holding what appears to be a baseball and flanked by two men, one in a Red Birds uniform. It is a WWII photo. I realized I had an old signed baseball so I decided to do some research. The baseball is signed by Ollie Vanek, manager for the Williamson Redbirds, which I have learned is a minor league team affiliated with the Cardinals. I also know Ollie Vanek was instrumental in scouting Stan Musial for the Cardinals as an outfielder too. What I don’t know for sure is who the two men are in the photo. I assume one is Ollie Vanek given the signature on the ball, but which one? Also, the player in uniform looks a lot like Stan Musial, who I learned played for the Redbirds before playing for the cardinals. I know my Dad visited the US while serving in the Royal Navy and he loved sports. Can someone help with the ID? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DF190A9B-6E19-479D-8C41-ECA588EEE0DF.jpg (10.8 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg BBCBDD4E-39A9-4D6B-BFDB-0E701FB2385F.jpg (17.7 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by Kgarner99; 02-20-2018 at 06:14 AM.