View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 04:27 PM
Belltown Vintage

Can't believe I forgot about this one. A couple of years ago I posted a 1951 Dobbs Fifty Fedora that had belonged to a member of the 1951 New York Yankees. I sold the hat, as it was too large to wear and I couldn't justify having it lying around doing nothing. The other day I found another one of these presentation hats. Since there are only four known examples, this was really a case of lightning striking twice. On top of that, it is my exact size. It turns out that the owner of the Yankees bought these not only for every player on the team, but also for extended Yankee 'family'. Werner was Mel Allen's sound engineer. A $50 hat in 1951 would be equivalent to a $500 hat today, except a $500 hat today would be of poorer quality. A $10 hat in 1950 was of much higher quality than a $200 hat today. The 'Cavanaugh Edge' on this model is no longer made - the over welt is not sewn, but was created at the same time as the 'hat body', a process which is too expensive now and was abandoned in the early 1960's. If you ever buy a vintage hat, go for one with the non-sewn over welt.

Just like my last one - mint condition:

Last edited by Runscott; 09-10-2018 at 02:49 PM.