Thread: Top 5 pieces
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2017, 03:19 PM
Mikeknapp

Kevin..wow. That's certainly a mic drop post. I'm embarrassed to follow that. I lack focus so my collection has many different tentacles. Nonetheless my favorite items relate to my childhood obsession with the 1971 Pirates. These are not my most valuable items but they certainly make me smile which is why we all chase the items in our collections.

I have owned this signed Roberto Clemente Night Poster for more than thirty years. When I bought it I was earning around $8.00 an hour. My new bride didn’t blink when I dropped more than a week’s salary on it. It was then I knew she was a keeper. The Roberto Clemente Memorial Pennant was a recent pick up. I find it to be a poignant reminder of that day and the emotions I experienced when I learned of his death. In the top of the 8th inning of Game 7 Jose Pagan's double into the gap off of Mike Cuellar drove in Stargell with what proved to be the winning run. I could never prove this was the bat he used but it is fun to consider that possibility. The team issued 1971 World Champion jewelry reminds me that I don’t own a ring. Willie Stargell and Roberto Clemente were my technicolor version of my Father’s Mantle and Maris. Whenever I hear Santana’s Soul Sacrifice I think of them. Because of that these coin banks are always displayed together. Finally the 1971 National League Pennant which hung at Three Rivers Stadium during the World Series is my favorite item. It is far too large to frame or display in my home. My wife jokingly calls it my burial shroud. At least I think she is joking...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clemente__night_poster.jpg (77.6 KB, 460 views)
File Type: jpg attachment[10].jpg (66.7 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg Pagan.jpg (73.7 KB, 459 views)
File Type: jpg jewelry.jpg (77.2 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg banks.jpg (69.4 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg Graphic2.jpg (76.3 KB, 457 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)

Last edited by 71buc; 11-11-2017 at 03:54 PM.