View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Default If You Can Sell It Here, You Can Sell It Anywhere

Posted By: Chad

I would very much like a Manhattan show. I hate leaving the island. A couple of quick points:

1. I'm was born in Tennessee, raised in California and went to school in Mississippi and Florida and now live in NYC. I've found there's a pretty equal ratio of a-holes and good people in all places. Even Texas where my brother lived for many years. (kidding!)

2. I have a dreary job at a brokerage firm--back office work, yay!--but in my work I interact with many rich people and I ahve to say, rich people seemed more interested in art and antiques and fast cars. Now, obviously, there's a lot of wealth on this board, but you guys seem more the exception that the rule. A card that sells for 100k in our hobby is a big deal, but pieces of art go for 100 million dollars. All in all, we're pretty low rent and thank god for that or I would be buying reprints and 87 Topps. I can understand why people like Mr. Dorskind want to expand the number of wealthy folks who collect baseball cards--increased demand etc etc--but I just don't see it happening. I have to admit I'm prejudiced against the extremely wealthy jumping in, though, so I could be wrong. My problem with it would be that the cards would become simple commodities devoid of their historical context or nostalgia. They would become items of interest to these new wealthy collectors SOLELY because of the their value. This rubs me the wrong way. Again, I'm not attacking wealthy collectors in general--there are lot of great, great collectors are wealthy and that's a good thing, and who's to define who's wealthy anyway. I may not be expressing myself well here so I'll apologize in advance if I haven't. So, to sum up

Rich + knowledgeable is good
Poor + knowledgeable is good
Rich + not knowledgeable + hedge funds is bad
Manhattan show is good
I'm a Manhatanite and I am good!

Peace out, y'all

--Chad