View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 07:24 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Interesting trivia about 1910 COUPON (T213-1) cards...show us some of these rare gems

To begin with, I fully understand that some of you on this forum do not associate the 68 cards of the 1910 Coupon (T213-1) set with the
T206 set. And, that's fine, that's your prerogative.

Nevertheless, from my study of the T213-1 set, this set provides some interesting insights into the printing of the T206 350-only series.
Circa Winter of 1909, American Lithographic (ALC) started designing the T206 cards for their 350-only series production.

For more information for those of you interested in this COUPON set, check-out this thread....FYI....1910 COUPON checklist (T213-1)

Let's start this analysis with the Major Leaguers in the T213-1 set. Depicted here is my hypothetical arrangement of these 48 subjects in the
T213-1 set, which were derived from an early press run of the 350-only series of the T206's. Here's my theory..coincident with the print run
of this group of T206's in the 350-only series (circa Spring/Summer 1910), American Litho (ALC) received requests for cards for ATC's new
tobacco brand COUPON. So, ALC printed up several extra sheets of these 48 cards and printed their backs with the COUPON advertisement.

ALC introduced the AMERICAN BEAUTY 350.....BROAD LEAF 350.....CYCLE 350.....DRUM 350 backs during the 350-only series press
runs (circa Summer 1910). Note that the T213-1 back is the same stylistic design as the A-B-C-D design. But, there is an incongruent
factor which suggests that the T213-1 timeline precedes the A-B-C-D print run. Byrne, Mowrey, and Rossman (due to trades) were not
printed with the T206 A-B-C-D backs. However, these 3 guys are included in the 48 card group of Major Leaguers in the T213-1 set.
This fact suggests that the T213-1 cards were most likely printed and issued in the Spring of 1910. Very, very interesting.

Hey guys....if any one here has a DRUM card of Mr. Chase please contact me. I will offer in cash (and/or trade) a generous amount
in order to complete this A-B-C-C-D sub-set.

ALC introduced the POLAR BEAR backs during the 350 series press runs (circa Summer 1910). But, only 9 of these 48 subjects in the
T213-1 set were printed with POLAR BEAR backs. These 9 guys include the six super-prints and Willett (these guys were continued in
to the 350/460 series). Plus, Engle and LaPorte (perhaps because they played for the NY Highlanders). It is apparent in the structure
of the T206 set that ALC favored players on New York teams (since this Lithographic firm was based in downtown Manhattan).

The T213-1 cards are probably the scarcest of all the white-bordered tobacco sets. But, if you have them, why not show them here.

TED Z

T206 Reference