View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 04:21 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Default PWCC planning to redefine the difference between altered and conserved in cards

It's kind of buried in the Vault thread (and the '52 Mantle one in the post-war forum), but is a post from Blowout concerning PWCC changing the definition of conservation as compared to alteration of cards in the marketplace.

Quote:
Later this month we will publish our Marketplace Tenets which, among other things, touches on the differences between alteration and conservation. Until then, I will summarize why this card is still live in our auction.

In our view, there's a difference between conservation and alteration. Conservation is any act which returns a card closer to its as-manufactured condition and does not render the card artificially different from the as-manufactured state. Removal of dirt, glue, pencil marks, wax, etc. are good examples of conservation, so long as it's done in a way that doesn't affect the natural properties of a card.

Alteration is very different from conservation in that it generally involves the addition of a foreign matter to a card (i.e. recoloring or corner rebuilding) or the removal of material (i.e. trimming, erasing print, etc).

The ‘52 Mantle in question shows no signs of alteration based on these definitions, so it is an acceptable asset to be sold on the marketplace.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...&postcount=264

You can see it in that thread and the one exposing tons of trimmed Bryce Harper autographed cards. Have any of you been consulted on this attempt to redefine the standards of card alteration? They basically agree that the PSA 4.5 Mantle has been pressed, but since that is considered "conservation" by them, they will not remove the listing NOR mention to the bidders that the card has been worked on.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.