View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Steve Birmingham

No etiquette errors, no worries! And welcome to the board.

Finding print runs for cards is really difficult, especially for sets like that which were very regional.
For a handful of big sets it's possible to back into a guesstimate based on a few announced profit/sales numbers, but that only gets to a very rough guess.
That being said, once in a while someone finds a company announcement saying they're distributing a certain number of cards.
Modern stuff - at least after they started being required to state the odds for inserts - it's possible to do some math and get a decent estimate.

How long have you been in printing? And what part of it are you in. I worked in a shop while in high school. While technically I was custodial staff, it was a small shop and we got a lot of opportunities to do a variety of tasks. So I ended up working a bit in every department except sales/estimating.

If you've been in a while, you might be able to back into a guess based on costs. What would have been a minimum order that would end up inexpensive enough for an advertising giveaway?
My guess is that a few hundred say 500-750 would have been far too expensive in the pre-computer days. But that for a local issue 10,000 of each would perhaps be too many.
How they were issued also matters, I'm guessing at how many Union Oil locations near Spokane, and how many customers a week, and say one different card each week, but I could be way off.