Thread: Mantle Reality
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 03:20 PM
George

I was born in 1964, too young to ever see him play but cannot remember a time in my life that I didn't know the name "Mickey Mantle." When I started collecting as a kid in the 1970s, Mantle cards were definitely sought-after, but seen -- at least among my circle of friends -- as on par with Aaron, Mays, Koufax. (I was and remain a huge Clemente fan but I don't recall Clemente cards taking off in the first few years after his death.)

I became aware of the Mantle mystique in 1985 when one of his several autobiographies came out, "The Mick," and I heard he'd be signing books at a store in Washington, D.C. I figured it'd be cool to stop by and get his autograph, but remember showing up to find a line of middle-aged men extending out the store and around the block. It's these guys and their disposable income that drove the Mantle card and memorabilia market into the stratosphere.

I re-entered the collecting world about 10 years ago and started finishing off pre-1968 sets. As any collector knows, Mantle cards are always the toughest to find at reasonable prices. I know it's not Mick's fault and I have much respect for the law of supply and demand, but I'm just not a fan of the guy because of the prices of his cards.

I now have all the Topps sets back to 1956. I'm thinking about going after 1955 Topps or Bowman set next. I like the Bowmans better, but the idea of finding a Mantle causes me dread. And there's no Mantle in the 1955 Topps set.