View Single Post
Old 12-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Graig Kreindler

Hey all,

Been plugging away at this badboy a bit, and it's fair to say that we've moved into (and are moving out of) the second pass:

This is where I feel like these paintings start to really take some shape. Juicier paint is added to the canvas, all of which is going over some areas that are already covered, so they end up having more body and being noticeably less transparent. In other words, unlike the the last progress shot, in this one you're not really seeing much in the ways of that cool brownish tone seeping through the colors. Well, it does in some places, but overall, I feel like you start to feel that light.

I've put in a decent amount of work into Ruth's punim:

So things there are looking pretty sharp and resolved, though there's still some stuff that needs my attention. I've also started adding some glow to the edges on the shadows going across his face. That intense chroma makes the light really pop, something that will be more evident in the later stages of the painting.

One of my favorite parts of this painting is definitely going to be the red of the flag draped on top of the dugout. With all of that surrounding green, it makes for a wonderful contrast.

Anywho, as per usual, thanks for reading, and if you have any questions or comments, fire away!

Graig