View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Default T206 SURVEY.....Sovereign "NO - PRINTS" ? ?

Posted By: Scot Reader

Ted,

I think you are on to something. The Polar Bear-only printing of Demmitt (St. Louis) and O'Hara (St. Louis) may have had something to do with their short stint with St. Louis clubs in 1910. Demmitt only played 10 games for the Browns in 1910 while O'Hara played a mere nine for the Cards that season. Moreover, O'Hara's last major league game was on May 8, 1910--he didn't even make it to the Summer. The same is probably true for Demmitt (although he resurfaced in the majors in 1914).

Taking the analysis a step further, it is known that the New York versions of Demmitt and O'Hara do not appear with Polar Bear (even though most other 350-only subjects can be found with that back), whereas the St. Louis versions appear ONLY with Polar Bear. This suggests to me that the St. Louis versions were not intended as subjects for a new series but rather were a midstream correction to the New York versions made during the 350-only series print run. Perhaps, then, there was a set brand sequence to the 350-only series print run, for example, Piedmont, Sweet Caporal, Sovereign, EPDG, Old Mill, Broad Leaf, Carolina Brights, Cycle, Drum, Polar Bear, Tolstoi, with the New York to St. Louis substitution occurring after Drum and pull-out of the St. Louis versions happening before Tolstoi (note that the New York versions don't seem to be available with Tolstoi, either). Of course, the above brand sequence is merely exemplary; I am not suggesting that's exactly how the sequence went.

Scot