View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 12:32 PM

Default A friendly reminder about shipping protection backfired

I had a very similar experience last year.

A few years ago I started sending a note to each eBay seller I bought from, kindly asking each to harden and weatherproof the packaging so it survives all the way to my house - this after receiving numerous crumbled or wet items over the years. Initially these comments were well received and I do feel it made a difference. In the time period I was doing this I had no further damage to speak of.

Then I finally encountered someone who was incredulous and deeply offended to receive such a request. He immediately cancelled my order and basically said to go ahead and report him to eBay but he wouldn’t send the items. Of course I really wanted these items and pleaded my case but he wouldn’t budge. That was it. I never got them and regrettably haven’t even seen them for sale again on eBay since.

I thought about it and decided that the risk of not receiving what I purchased outweighed the risk that the item would arrive damaged. The reality is that most items I buy at this point are difficult to find or offered infrequently so I don’t want to take that chance again.

I stopped sending my little shipping instruction note. So far everything has arrived undamaged and I’d like to think this is due to eBay sellers higher standards for shipping these days but just don’t know.