View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Default Avoiding stolen scans....protect your photos from right-click-copying.

Posted By: Jennifer

Hi all (again) -- this is a duplicate of my post in another thread. As an afterthought, I figured I'd copy everything from my last post & start a new thread, rather than have this get buried and missed by those who might want to use this in their own eBay listings.

Just within the last few days, we decided to start adding html code to all of our eBay listings which makes it IMPOSSIBLE for someone to right-click-save an eBay item's photo to their hard drive. The code works perfectly, but of course there may be a way to get around this little roadblock -- for the very determined scam artist -- but at least it forces them to work harder to steal photo scans.

We found this code at JavaScript Source -- the way to insert the code is simple -- in the item description section, click on "HTML mode", and at the very top of the description section, copy and paste the following string of html code. (We've found it easier to complete the item description in its entirety FIRST, then switch to HTML mode and insert the code).

<HEAD>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1">
<!-- Original: Martin Webb (martin@irt.org) -->
<!-- This script and many more are available free online at -->
<!-- The JavaScript Source!! http://javascript.internet.com -->
<!-- Begin
function right(e) {
if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' &&
(e.which == 3 || e.which == 2))
return false;
else if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' &&
(event.button == 2 || event.button == 3)) {
alert("No right-clicking!");
return false;
}
return true;
}
document.onmousedown=right;
document.onmouseup=right;
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEUP);
window.onmousedown=right;
window.onmouseup=right;
// End -->
</script>
</HEAD>

Two things to point out -- you can change the message someone will receive in the pop up window when they try to right-click. (The code above reads "No right-clicking!" but you can obviously change it to whatever you want -- for example, "Get your #$*(#$ hands off my photo scan, loser.") Also, if you should happen to revise an item again, this html code will, for whatever reason, disappear altogether, and you'll have to remember to reinsert it before saving the listing again.

[Edited to revise thread title & clarify post]