View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Default Safety Deposit Box Plunge

Posted By: barrysloate

That's the age old hobby question of how one can enjoy a collection if it's in a safe deposit box. Clearly, you can't enjoy it as much, but we've heard some horror stories on this board so I guess you are trading accessibilty for security. Hate to put a damper on those who feel no burglar can break into a home safe, but in 1988 I came back to my apartment in the afternoon and walked into a burglary in progress. At that time I had my whole collection in a safe in my closet. The two burglars were rank amateurs and never even saw the safe. But it crossed my mind that if they put a gun to my head and asked me to open it, I would have lost the collection anyway. The next morning I got a safe deposit box. Don't mean to scare anybody, but I went through this and just wish to share it. P.S.- those two clowns got caught later that day and were in the police station that night. They stole some old coins from me (not too valuable) and I actually got them all back. The chance of retrieving stolen property in a Brooklyn robbery is very small indeed.