View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 07:46 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I never got a chance to get Mantle, always thought he would be around a long time but I was wrong.

Back in 1995 DiMaggio was going to sign at a big show for $300. It was a lot back then but signed balls were selling for more than that and you got to meet him. I decided to get a ball signed in person. When he arrived he wore sunglasses and the word was he was losing his eyesight because of all the flash photography. He was behind a long table and there was a "no flash photography" sign. I was near the end of the line and listening to everyone talk about how he wouldn't sign this or that and other stories that made you think he was surly. Imagine the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld. Most people did not even engage with him. By the time I got to him I had decided to try and get a photo with him. No one else had done this as far as I could see. As he signed my ball I said "Hey Joe," and he stopped mid signing and looked up. "Can I come around and get a photo with you?" He looked me up and down and said "sure". I bolted around the table. One of my all time favorite photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meanddimaggio.jpg (84.4 KB, 192 views)

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears