View Single Post
Old 01-18-2012, 01:50 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Bob Manning

POST #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoldprofessor View Post
Ted:

I know your research is first-rate. But the Lafean of whom you've been speaking was, apparently, Daniel Franklin Lafean, not David. From the Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1771-Present:

"LAFEAN, Daniel Franklin, a Representative from Pennsylvania; born in York, York County, Pa., on February 7, 1861; attended the public schools; engaged in candy manufacturing and in banking in York; a director of the Gettysburg College and trustee of the Gettysburg Seminary, Gettysburg, Pa.; elected as a Republican to the Fifty-eighth and to the four succeeding Congresses (March 4, 1903-March 3, 1913); unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1912 to the Sixty-third Congress; elected to the Sixty-fourth Congress (March 4, 1915-March 3, 1917); was not a candidate for renomination in 1916; appointed commissioner of banking of the State of Pennsylvania in 1917; again engaged in manufacturing pursuits; died in Philadelphia, Pa., April 18, 1922; interment in Prospect Hill Cemetery, York, Pa."

I'm unclear as to exactly what role Daniel Lafean was to have played in your theory. He was a director of the College, which sounds a bit like a trustee, and could have had either a little power, or a lot of it. As a congressman, of course, he had about as much power as he could have wanted. I'm ready to believe that he and Milton Hershey were tight, but how that brings Eddie out of T206 isn't real certain, at least to me, at all.

Of course, I graduated from Gettysburg College ('64), which makes my participation problematic anyway.

Bob

With all due respect, we've been here before in post #32 in this thread.

Anyhow, the connection that initially started my wild imagination down this path was the close relationship between Connie Mack and Daniel Lafean (while Lafean
owned the American Caramel Co. which was based in Philadelphia).

And, it's my understanding that Mr. Mack suggested to Daniel Lafean (circa 1907) to include BB card premiums with his Caramel product in order to enhance sales.

Anyhow, it's been 3 years since I posted this theory; and, I haven't had any luck in discovering any new evidence to support my contention that the T206 Plank
was yanked due to a conflict with the American Caramel Co.

But, I have discovered that Plank was very much anti-tobacco in any form. And so was his Manager, Connie Mack. Plank was a low-keyed guy and most likely did
not receive the fanfare that Wagner got for having their cards pulled from circulation. Plank's complaint was most likely handled by a "cease & desist" order issued
to ATC.

Best regards,

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 01-18-2012 at 01:54 PM.