View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 08:32 AM

I am 73 and bought wax packs from 1953-1961. In my younger years, I was guided by older brothers, with whom i traded. As a few others have already said, we were mostly interested in who was on the front of the card, and were most interested in players on our favorite teams.
I noticed that card backs were different colors, but so what? I never thought one might be more valuable. I never got a 1958 Topps Frank Herrer error card, but had I done so, I would have felt ripped off...like this card is defective. I remember getting a 6-card pack 1957 Topps pack and all the cards were badly out of focus...I felt cheated by Topps!
Though I did read the backs of cards, and found it interesting who were World War II veterans and the jobs that ballplayers had in the offseason, it was all secondary to who was on the front. Occasionally, we might find an "error" of some sort on the back of the card, but it was no big deal. And we could not easily Google to find out if a birthdate or HR total was wrong. The cards were what they were and we enjoyed them for what they were. Great times!