View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 11:24 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
I dont remember anything about variations back then, and I collected.

What I remember most was the 1955 Bowman set, the oldest set I remember. I can still remember opening packs and thinking how neat it was that they looked like little color tv's, very advanced for those times!!!

But again, I dont remember being aware of any of the variations when I was growing up.
Very true. My father worked at Electronics Park near Syracuse in the early 50s where the early color TVs were designed and built. We had one in our home in the mid-fifties, but there was very limited programing available. The 1955 World Series was the first broadcast in color. I suspect that the color broadcast of the WS was in planning for months in advance of the series, and perhaps Bowman's card design was influenced by this knowledge.

Whether or not the card design influenced the sales of color television in 1955 is not known. Suffice it to say, that very few people saw those games in color. We not only had the only color tv on the block, but probably the only one in the town of Manlius, NY.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.